Tuesday, May 7, 2013

{Chore} Charts

If you look at my Pinterest board lately you will find all kinds of awesome chore charts and systems for both kids and adults. Since I've been pregnant, I have been so tired and last thing I want to do is spend hours cleaning the house. I have considered all kinds of charts, lists, and incentives to help get the job done.

Lately we've had a lot of company staying at our house. It seems like when company is coming, that is the only time our house gets really clean. So we deep cleaned everything for the first wave of people. By the time we were getting ready for the third wave I realized {WARNING: huge no brainer here} that it's much easier to clean the house when it's been done recently. Duh! So rather than get behind and then spend an entire Saturday catching up I decided I needed a chart that did a little each day. I knew I had to make it be just a little or we'd never stick to it.

Last night I came across a blog post on Pinterest called I Don't Do Spring Cleaning and of course it caught my eye because I don't do spring cleaning either! So I started reading through and saw that she uses a list called 31 Days to a Clean Home by Clean Mama. If you haven't check out her blog before, do it. It's awesome! I've actually printed this same list and used it for one month. Probably need to do it again...

The second list she talks about is from Tip Junkie. This list is called Week at a Glance Cleaning Check List. I really liked the concept of this list since it had a couple jobs to be done each day and some to be done each week. But I felt like it wasn't quite right for our family. So I decided to tweak it and make it my own.


For the first month or two I plan to simply print it out and cross things off as we go. Then as we figure out what works and what doesn't I'll make a few changes and re-print it in color and laminate it. Then we'll cross things off each week with a dry erase marker.

Of course I couldn't leave {The Bean} out though. She loves to help around the house. She is constantly asking me "what job can I do?" So I tried to think of a few of the jobs that she can do and created her own chore chart just like Mommy and Daddy's.


I know that her chart will be changing all the time as she grows and develops new skills. And I know that our new system won't be perfect. But hopefully over time, as we develop new habits, it can become perfect for us.

I also plan to create a master to-do list for those big jobs like cleaning and organizing the storage unit. I found a home management binder that I {love} that includes a master to-do list at DIY Home Sweet Home. If you are thinking of doing a home management binder you have to check out her free printables. I've got the entire binder saved and I'm trying to decide if I want to tweak it for me or just print it as it. I'm thinking of tweaking it along with a few other binder kits so they all match.

Thank you to the following for allowing us to take something from your closets:

No comments:

Post a Comment